The grasshopper and the toad


A grasshopper and a toad were always seen together. Everyone thought they were good friends, yet they had never dined at each other’s house. One day Toad said to Grasshopper “Dear friend, come to my house and dine with me tomorrow. My wife and I will prepare a special meal and we will eat together.”

The next day Grasshopper appeared at Toad’s house. Before sitting down to eat, Toad washed his front legs and invited Grasshopper to do the same. Grasshopper did so, but when he rubbed his legs together he made a loud chirping noise.

“Friend Grasshopper,” said Toad “if you make such a loud noise I cannot eat.”
Grasshopper tried to eat without rubbing his forelegs together and making a noise, but it was impossible. Each time he gave a chirp, Toad asked him to be quiet. Grasshopper felt angry and could not eat in peace. Finally he said “Toad, I invite you to my house for dinner tomorrow.”

Toad arrived at Grasshopper’s house the next day. As soon as the meal was ready, Grasshopper washed his forelegs and invited Toad to do the same. Toad did so, and hopped towards the food.

“Go back and wash your legs again,” Grasshopper said. “They are very dirty from all that hopping about.”

Toad went back to the water jar, washed again and hopped back to the table. He was just reaching out for some food when Grasshopper stopped him. “Don’t touch the food with those dirty feet, “Toad said. “ Go and wash them again.”

Toad was furious. “It seems you don’t want me to eat with you,” he said. “You know very well I can’t move about without using my forelegs. They are bound to get a little dirty. I can’t help it.”

“Well, you are the one who started it yesterday,” Toad said. “You know very well I cannot rub my fore-legs together without making a noise.”
After that day, they were no longer friends.

Therefore it is said, if you want true friendship with someone, accept him as he is, with all his faults

0 comments: